Delft Action Network: Support high-impact, community driven food kitchens
At the end of April 2020, the Delft Action Network (DAN) evolved in order to bring existing and new kitchens that sprang up to meet the increased need under one banner in order to give them support. DAN is part of the Community Action Network (CAN). There are now 28 kitchens (and counting) operational and serving most of Delft. We need all the help we can get.
COVID-19 Weekly Program
The kitchens are largely funded by the community themselves but are under great financial pressure and so DAN seeks to support them with much-needed resources.
During the Covid-19 period, the network efficiently serves over 7,000 nutritious meals per week targeting the most vulnerable: children, the elderly, and differently-abled in the community. This high-impact community system needs strengthening and expansion, as many more families become food insecure.
Cash donations are required for the following weekly program:
- 7,000 fresh vegetable soup meals from partner Extreem Kwizeen (at R1.90 per meal)
- 1,000 loaves of bread (at R6,50 per loaf)
- R100 per kitchen towards electricity or gas costs
- additional ingredients
- gloves, masks, and sanitisers
The current weekly program costs amount to R25,000. Donations are:
- go directly to beneficiaries (NO administration costs)
- applied to food costs only as the program is volunteer-driven